April is the National Safety Council’s Distracted Driving Awareness Month. With so much information in the palm of your hand, it can be difficult to disconnect and focus on driving. In fact, over 3,000 people are killed every year as a result from distracted driving per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Here are some ways fleet drivers can avoid distracted driving:
- Avoid using cell phones unless an emergency arises
- If you are drowsy, pull off the road
- Limit the number of passengers and activity inside the car
- Avoid eating while driving
- Multi-task outside the car
- Take your time – rushing can pull you away from the road
Distracted driving has taken the top spot as the number one cause for accidents, overtaking drunk driving. This month spread the word by urging your loved ones to remain focused while on the road. No text, call, song, or snack is worth any life. Take the pledge now to just drive.