The tunnel is a masterpiece of transportation engineering. Being able to travel under massive amounts of both earth and/or water is simply awe inspiring, however, they can be quite daunting to drive through. A contained space with no way out, other than through, is a recipe for a little anxiety. That anxiety can increase when the thought of a breakdown comes to mind as well.
How to drive safely through tunnels:
- Maintain lane position. The lanes may appear smaller, but they are the same size as a standard road.
- Turn on your headlights and remove sunglasses. Seeing and being seen are both incredibly important.
- Make sure your vehicle is fueled up and is in working condition. A vehicle malfunction can create a hazardous traffic back-up.
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Be sure all loads are secured properly.
- Pay attention to all road signs and traffic signals.
What to do if your company vehicle breaks down in a tunnel:
- Remain calm.
- Turn on hazard lights immediately.
- Turn off engine.
- Use your cell phone, or locate the nearest emergency phone, and call for help.
- Wait for assistance in a safe location or if a safe location cannot be found, wait in your vehicle until help arrives.
Driving through a tunnel can be a nerve-wracking experience, but with these tips you can drive through tunnels safely and know the basic steps to follow if a breakdown occurs.