When it comes to acquiring material handling equipment like forklifts, pallet jacks, etc., it can be difficult for fleet managers and other purchasers to identify the best solution (or solutions) for your organization.
I’ve written some tips that might help, recently published in Fleet Management Weekly:
Some of the things you need to keep in mind are:
- Fleet size and utilization – How will the equipment be used and how many are needed to accomplish the job?
- Proprietary software – Are you aware of the proprietary components that will impact how the equipment is used and where it should be serviced?
- Type of lease – Are you selecting a sustainable purchasing option?
- Maintenance costs – Do you have a good understanding of these costs before purchasing the piece of equipment?
- Equipment operators – Are you including ergonomics and training in your acquisition plans?
I have more details on each of these points in my article – go check it out! And please feel free to let me know of other considerations we should add to this list.
My colleague Keith Trumbull has written other articles on the topic of material handling equipment that you might find useful: